Area of Specialization: Education, Community Resource Management, Family and Consumer Sciences
Research Interests: Gender Based Violence, Youth sexuality and Development, Community Development, Program Planning and Management, Program Monitoring and Evaluation, Advocacy, Community empowerment
Ph. D Department of Community Resource Management and Extension Kenyatta University (2014)
Master of Science (Family and Consumer Sciences)
Kenyatta University (2006)
Higher National Diploma in Human Resource Management
Institute of Personnel Management (2002).
Bachelor of Education (Home Economics)
Kenyatta University (1999) First Class Honours
- Gender Based Violence
- Youth and Development
- Community Development
- Program design monitoring and Evaluation
- Advocacy issues.
Conference & Seminar Presentations
Kabaria-Muriithi,J Kathuri-Ogola, L., and J Njue, J.R. Family, Community and Societal Contexts of Gender-Based Violence in Kenya: An Analysis of 2015-2017 Print Media Reports Ft. Worth, Texas, USA Paper presented at the 2019 National Conference on Family Relations annual conference, November 20-23, 2019.
Njue, J.R Kathuri-Ogola, L, and Kabaria-Muriithi, J. Assessing Critical Thinking Skills in Solving Ethical Dilemma Using Domains of Family Practice Model in CFLE Approved Professional Development Course Ft. Worth, Texas, USA Paper presented at the 2019 National Conference on Family Relations annual conference, November 20-23, 2019.Kabaria-Muriithi, J Njue, J.R. andKathuri-Ogola, L., Resilience and Social support Networks of Kenyan Women Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence in Shelter Homes. Presented at the Pathways to resilience: Global South Perspectives Conference inCape Town,South Africa, on 14-16th June 2017.
- Kathuri-Ogola, L., Kabaria-Muriithi, J., Njue, J.R. Caregiver Resilience and Social Support for Family Caregivers of PLWHIV in Kenya. Presented at the Pathways to resilience: Global South Perspectives Conference inCape Town,South Africa, on 14-16th June 2017.
- Njue, J.R. Kathuri-Ogola, L., and Kabaria-Muriithi, J Pathways to Resiliency: Mapping Family, Community and Societal Challenges and Strengths in Coping with Domestic Violence in Kenya Presented at the Pathways to resilience: Global South Perspectives Conference inCape Town,South Africa, on 14-16th June 2017.
- Kabaria-Muriithi, J., & Jane Rose Njue, Strengths Based Coping Strategies Employed By Women Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence in Kenya. Presented at the 2016 NCFR annual conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, November, 3, 2016.
- Charlene A. Vanleeuwen, Lucy Kathuri-Ogola, Joan Kabaria Muriithi & Lori E. Weeks Enhancing the Learning Experiences of Kenyan University Students During Practicum Attachments. Presented at the 3rd International Annual Conference on Education and Lifelong Learning 6th October, 2016.
- Joan K. Muriithi, Analysis of Intimate Partner Violence Among women in shelter homes in Kenya., Nairobi, 23rd June 2014
- Joan K. Muriithi, Ngige W. Lucy and Kimani N. Elishiba, Perceptions of Predisposing Factors To Intimate Partner Violence by Women Survivors In Selected Shelter Homes In Kenya Nairobi, Kenya, 1st – 3rd August 2012
- Kathuri-Ogola L, Kabaria-Muriithi J, Ndayala P and Kieru J “From Replication to Analysis: Experiences of the Adoption of Innovative Assessment and Evaluation Strategies by the Department of CRM&E, Kenyatta University” presented at the Family Science Association conference on Innovative Student Assessment and Evaluation Procedures in Canada at Baddeck, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, 14th -15th June 2012.
- Joan K. Muriithi, Dr. L. Ngige & Prof. O. Mugenda, Factors associated with cohabitation among university students in Nairobi, Kenya. Presented at the First Pan-African Family Strengths International Conference in Mombasa, Kenya, 20th -24th July 2010
- Joan K. Muriithi, Socio-economic determinants of cohabitation among Kenyatta University students: Towards New Directions in Students Mentorship, Nairobi, Kenya 8th - 10th July 2009
- Joan K. Muriithi, “Measures of survival: A survey on the sexual and Reproductive Health risks of women in sub-Saharan Africa”. Nairobi, Kenya 11th February 2009
- Joan K. Muriithi, Achievements of the Society for Women and AIDS in Kenya Male Initiative program Accra, Ghana 21st-24th November, 2005
- Research team Member - IDRC funded project entitled ‘An Evidence-Based Approach to Enhancing Kenyan University Student Training and Preparation for Professional Practice’ 2013-2015 – Kenyatta University and University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) in Canada.
- Principle Researcher 2010-2014:Analysis of Intimate Partner Violence Among women in shelter homes in Kenya (PhD) research
- Principle Investigator, Factors that lead to the prevalence and practice of cohabitation among University Students in Nairobi, Kenya (2002-2006)
- Kabaria-Muriithi, J Kathuri-Ogola, L and Njue, J.R. (2018) Family Life Education in Kenya. In Robila, M and Taylor, A. (Eds) Global Perspectives on Family Life Education. Springer ISBN 978-3-319-77589-0
- VanLeeuwen, C.,Kathuri-Ogola, L., Weeks, L.E., and Kabaria-Muriithi, J., (2018).Getting Ready for Community Practice: An Evidence-Based Preparation Course for Kenyan Practicum Students. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. Vol. 46, No. 3, March 2018 238–251 DOI: 10.1111/fcsr.12248 © 2018 American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Joan Kabaria-Muriithi, Lucy Ngige & Elishiba Kimani, (2017). Women Survivors’ Perceptions on Susceptibility Factors to Intimate Partner Violence. American International Journal of Social Science Vol. 6, No. 2, June 2017 ISSN 2325-4149 (Print), 2325-4165 (Online)
- Joan Kabaria-Muriithi, Lucy Ngige & Elishiba Kimani (2017). Forms and Prevalence of Intimate Partner Violence Experienced by Women Survivors in Shelter Homes in Kenya. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Vol. 7, No. 3; March 2017 ISSN 2220-8488 (Print), 2221-0989 (Online)
- Lucy Kathuri-Ogola, Charlene VanLeeuwen, Joan Kabaria-Muriithi, Kieru, J., Ndayala, P.,& Lori E. Weeks 2015:Supervision Challenges Encountered During Kenyan University Students’ Practicum Attachment Journal of Education and Practice www.iiste.org Vol.6, No.17, 2015:ISSN 2222-1735 (Paper) ISSN 2222-288X (Online)
- Kabaria-Muriithi, J., Ngige, L.W., & Mugenda, O. M, 2011, Factors associated with cohabitation among university students in Nairobi, Kenya. Revista de Investigacion Social, vol 9 Mexico D.F., pp.109-136.